Car Accidents
We only charge a 22% contingency fee of the final settlement. Other Michigan attorneys charge 331/3%.
car with front end damage

Marquette Car Accident Attorney

Steve Matz and his team have been practicing law in Michigan for decades. They’ve logged hundreds of thousands of miles traveling to virtually every county in Michigan’s lower and upper peninsulas, meeting with clients, and doing the work necessary to earn significant settlements on their clients’ behalf.

Injuries sustained in car accidents can be quite serious. They can cause severe pain, interfere with your quality of life, and cause financial devastation by keeping you out of work. Even if an injury does not seem too severe at first, without prompt medical care it can become much worse.

If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a motor vehicle accident in Marquette, Michigan, you are not alone. The car accident attorneys at Matz Injury Law have helped accident victims for decades. They provide compassion while fighting to obtain the compensation you deserve and need. Reach us through our contact page or call 866-226-6833 today.

What Are the Different Types of Car Accidents?

Automobile accidents can come in many forms. They can cause injuries ranging from sprains and broken bones to spinal and brain injuries. A personal injury attorney can help you deal with the aftermath of any type of collision.

  • T-bone collisions: These often result from someone speeding or running a red light or stop sign.
  • Head-on collisions: These are among the most dangerous types of accidents. Victims can suffer severe physical injuries from head-on collisions.
  • Rear-end collisions: These often result from drivers failing to keep a safe distance from the car in front of them.
  • Vehicle rollover accidents: These are most likely to occur in SUVs because of their high center of gravity.
  • Sideswipe accidents: These occur when one car veers into another on the road.
  • Merging accidents: They tend to happen when a driver fails to check their blind spot or match the speed of other cars on the road.
  • Blindspot accidents: They may occur when a driver is changing lanes or merging into traffic.

What Should I Do After a Car Accident in Marquette?

If you are involved in a car accident in Marquette, you must act quickly, but you should also remain as calm as possible.

Call 911 and seek needed medical assistance for yourself and others

You should seek medical care for any injury, even if it seems minor to you. You might have a delayed injury that will worsen over time.

Report every single injury to medical personnel

You want to document every injury that might have resulted from the accident. You should insist that your doctor or emergency room staff records every symptom that you describe. You should let your doctor know about any new symptoms that arise in the days and weeks after the accident.

If you develop any of the following symptoms, you should be sure to let your doctor know:

  • Headaches
  • Lightheadedness or dizziness
  • Blurred vision
  • Ear ringing, also known as tinnitus
  • Changes in your emotional state
  • Difficulties with concentration or short-term memory.

Exchange insurance information

Be sure to obtain insurance information from anyone else involved in the accident, and to share your information with the other drivers.

Take photos of the scene of the accident

Taking pictures of the scene at the time of the accident can document factors like weather, temperature, traffic, and road conditions or repairs.

Get a copy of the police report

The police officers who responded to the scene of the accident will prepare a report. You can request a copy once it is complete.

File a claim with your insurance company

Your insurance policy might have specific notice requirements and other fine print. You should have your lawyer review it to make sure you do everything by the book.

Never give a statement without a lawyer present

You might receive a request from an insurance company — yours or another driver’s — to provide a statement about the accident. You should never do this without your attorney present.

When Should I Call A Car Accident Lawyer?

Michigan is a “no-fault” state with regard to auto accidents. Car insurance providers are required to cover their own insured’s injuries and other damages in the event of an accident, no matter who was at fault. You still have to prove damages, though, and that is why you need an attorney as soon as possible to help you establish the full amount of damages to which you are entitled.

What Are the Different Types of Damage from a Car Accident?

You may be entitled to multiple types of damages as a result of your car accident claim:

  • Property damage
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of consortium, which compensates a spouse for the loss of companionship and intimacy
  • Transportation to medical appointments
  • Medical bills
  • Lost income
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Wrongful death, in the event that a loved one died in the car crash

All of the above examples are known as “compensatory damages,” because their purpose is to compensate you for something that you lost due to the accident. The intent of “punitive damages” is to punish a defendant for particularly egregious conduct. Because of Michigan’s no-fault law, punitive damages are rare in auto accident cases.

What Should I Do About the Insurance Companies?

You must speak to your insurance company in order to get compensation for your injuries. You should never give a formal statement, however, without your attorney present. Your lawyer’s presence will help:

  • Stop your insurance company from paying the bare minimum amount of coverage;
  • Provide legal advice to help you avoid mistakes that could affect your recovery of damages; and
  • Increase the amount you are likely to recover.

Call Our Experienced Car Accident Attorneys for a Free Consultation

Steve and Jared Matz are experienced and compassionate personal injury lawyers serving Marquette, Michigan. We understand the pain that you are experiencing from your injuries. We will fight to obtain compensation for your car accident case while you focus on your recovery.

To request a free initial consultation, call us toll-free at 866-226-6833 or complete the online contact form today to speak with an experienced car accident attorney at Matz Injury Law firm today.

Visit Our Office

Matz Injury Law
25800 Northwestern Hwy # 575
Southfield, MI 48075
+1 (866) 226-6833
Our location:
steven matz headshot

Written By Steven Matz

Founding Shareholder

Steven J. Matz is a founding shareholder of Matz Injury Law. The firm’s concentration is on personal injury litigation, with an emphasis on traumatic brain injury.

The maximum contingency fee permitted by law is actually 331/3%. Michigan court rules require that the attorney fee be computed on the net sum recovered after deducting all disbursements properly chargeable to the enforcement of the claim.

What does 22not33 mean, exactly?

We can charge 22% while virtually all other injury attorneys charge 331/3% because we are very, very, good at obtaining results for our clients.

We do not spend millions of dollars on television ads; instead, we offer a lower fee to all our clients. We do not have dozens of lower paid associates handling our work. All our clients are represented by Steven and Jared Matz. Steven Matz started the firm in 1977 and since then has dedicated his life to representing injury victims. Jared joined the firm in 2016 but grew up listening to stories, discussing theories, and generally learning at the dinner table about how to effectively and compassionately represent injury victims. Jared Matz was literally born to represent individuals involved in motor vehicle crashes.

All of our cases are handled on a contingency fee and all our cases are handled at 22%. Whether the case settles or goes through trial, the fee does not change. While our competitors make excuses as to why they charge so much, we are obtaining results for our clients at a lower fee.

At a typical television advertising law firm, your first call will be handled by a receptionist, who may refer you to an intake person, who will discuss your claim with an intake manager, who then discusses your claim with an associate, who may then report to a partner. You may never speak with the person whose name is at the top of the letterhead. At Matz Injury Law you will always speak with either Steven Matz or Jared Matz.